An extension to a pre-1946 cottage, the existing house had already received extensive modification prior to our involvement. With limited heritage features remaining, the client’s vision was to transform the house into a space accommodating contemporary living.
Working with the topography of the site, the cottage was slightly lifted to transform a previously desolate space into a workshop, laundry, and ample storage in the undercroft. Spatially, this also allowed to enhance the cohesion of the whole house from the entry to the garden by opening up the floor plate, enhancing airflow, and animating the living spaces on the ground floor with the addition of a semi-protected, double-height terrace connecting to the kitchen and lounge.
The material palette adopted include blackbutt timber throughout the house and cherry oak complemented by featured natural quartzite stone benchtop in the kitchen and brass screens.